Archive for July, 2008|Monthly archive page
This is a fairly basic corrugation. Initially it doesn’t completely flatten. If you push the connectors in one direction you can easily flatten it (refer to pic) The modification to get the second corrugation is included, but ups the difficulty level.
The exploration below involves using goran pleats and heavy modification. I do not always start with a standard solid polygon. The pleating is deconstructed and the edges expanded to create organic shapes. The first paper is some Italian paper that has a lovely memory to it and the second is a sheet of oiled lotka, which has a lovely pattern and was a pleasure to work with, although has less tension in the finished product.
One of Ben’s pics taken by Jeff (Adrienne, Eric, Ben, Goran, c’est moi, Polly)
In the years I’ve been going to New York this was my favorite, although there were conspicous absences. Joseph Wu, Dgou, Ray Schamp, and host of others were not present. They were missed. Unfortunately I cannot report on classes taken, because this year I did not take any. Since I was teaching 4 classes I figured I wouldn’t have the time. The classes were a dollar bill sun modular, a dollar bill butterfly ring, circle based containers, and a tessellated box top.
I enjoyed teaching all the classes although the tessellated box was a tad stressful. I debated about making it complex and I am still on the fence about it. Some struggled with the precreasing and I do admit the paper I used wasn’t the easiest. Others finished easily and created beautiful variations: Daniel Kwan played with flower like collapses and Jeff Rutzky created tiny little cubes. I am going to work on techniques for teaching tessellations as this was my first time teaching a group and I wish to improve. The circle based container class was a lot of fun and they picked up the folds quickly. The dollar folds had some overlap of folders, several of them teachers. Two lovely Japanese ladies came to the dollar bill sun class and it was really interesting to see them start folding the design from their own banknotes, with a few modifications for dimensions.
The exhibition had a host of brilliant pieces. Brian Chan has a kraken taking down a ship that is sick! He is a brilliant designer. Polly Verity’s work in polypropelene is compelling and I am sure it has fascinating commercial applications. Eric Gjerde displayed several of his classic pieces. Ben Parker (who taught for the first time) displayed his waterbomb pieces. Christiane got her pieces back from Vancouver and had a display that showcased tessellations and containers, Goran has continued to expand his craft and this year I think he has stepped up his game like he’s on origami steriods. Phillip Chapman Bell displayed tato based containers and containers with iris closures that demonstrate a level of precision that defies comprehension. Seeing Tomihiro’s work that is constructed using software that utilizes voronai molecules to create a crease pattern for a given shape shows how science and art intersect in the guise of an innocent bunny. Joel Cooper has changed grid orientation on his masks which opened up a new avenue of facial expressions and aesthetics (and props go out to his lovely grid elf Jane). Seth Friedman’s work has continued to grow and I fully expect an origami bird that flies next year. Kenny, whose work I was unfamiliar with is exploring interesting Floderesque avenues. Quinten Trollip creates horses that gallop accross the table. Several new tesselators showed work:) Brian Chan had a beautiful display with his drawing of a koi and his rendition of it. Jason Ku’s delightful fairy is in flight. The modulars by the Burczyk’s were unique and a method of locking that is ingenius. Bernie Peyton’s shark is realistic looking, but still stylized. Below are a few of the above mentioned works from the ousa picture collection on flickr. None are mine, because I managed to forget my camera 90% of the time.
There was an auction which was mc’d by Linda Mihara who kindly donated one of her grandfather’s books. After the dinner one of the Japanese ladies came out in and origami paper wedding dress that brought many gasps from the audience. Adrienne, my roommate, and a lovely girl wore a fabulous outfit to dinner, a tulip-ish skirt and white cowboy boots with rainbow stitching. I admit to only slightly coveting the boots;) Well saw more of New York than I ever have, learned a nifty trick shot (pool) from Brian Webb, and hopefully can translate all the ideas floating in my idea from the trip into reality.
Well it has been a long rode for the studio/craft room space and it is finally done-ish. While there are things I would like to do I have to say for the time being it is good enough so I can move onto other rooms in the basement. Here are some pics.
The counter is birch plywood as I had to take out the sink because it was a code violation. The dress is a blast from the past…my prom dress. Many moons ago that got some use. The last photo isn’t up to date I brought the 6ft tall wooden cabinet in so there are no drawers on the floor.
One of the more recent things I’ve done. I am currently working on a bunch of project simultaneously so everything is slow going.
I’ve posted to my flickr account the crease patterns and some pics to help fold this. The one above is out of 6″ cami. I suggest using 12″ if possible, 8″ minimum and a thicker paper than cami.
The crease pattern is predominantly angle bisectors. There are only a few folds that arn’t from natural reference points. If you have problems print out the rough crease pattern and fold it to find the reference points.
Best of Luck