Archive for May, 2008|Monthly archive page

Green Bowl and the Creep of Ennui

So I have been playing with boxpleating and Goran Pleating that’s deconstructed.  It was fun, but I think the idea isn’t so much as tapped out as I am currently bored with it.  I still need to do one-Pandora’s Box and then I will let this go for awhile and focus on masks again as they have been calling my name.  Also a few standard tessellations have called me.  I used my beautiful green EH for this and I would like this more if I had used any other color.  The largest of my bowls it just doesn’t fully capture the color of the green in the design.  Over a foot long on edge is isn’t as stable as the others.  Not so much deconstructed as inverted with central deconstructed boxpleats.

 

Advertisements

Dollar Sun-Another Day Another Dollar Fold

Stellated 12-gon.  If you skip step 5 or vary the distance of the fold you change the number of modules needed.  Given an n-gon the smaller the fold to the center the larger n (i.e. the number of bills) is.

“Dollar Flower & Stem” Diagrams and “Petal Bottom Bowl” (Plus Flax Test)

Had to redo the diagrams as the originals went to the Land of the Lost.  The second group of photos is work on combining boxpleating and goran pleating with deconstruction.  This is most recent in a series.  If interested more shots are on flickr.  http://flickr.com/photos/christine42/  I also tested some flax with this pleating to see how it held up.  If I can get large enough sheets I will probably also do some more with flax.

 

 

Goran Pleats meet Box pleats

So I’ve been busy for awhile, but went back to an old idea I had.  When I was doing square constrained collapsed I wanted to combine them with Goran pleating.  My objective was to have a flower collapse in the center of a bowl with the curved edges ready to envelop it.  So recently I found an old collapsed/crushed sampler and decided to refold it to play with collapes.  So here are the basic shots of what I did. 

First boxpleated on diagonal.  Went to close and decided to change orientation of box pleating.

I changed the boxpleating from diagonals to horizontal and vertical.

The next step was deconstructing the pleats. (i.e. pull them apart)

 

The pink bowl pictures are called the “Pink Lotus Bowl” and are the most recent of the tests.  Main issue was the square was to small.  The red bowsl are my  finished initial full test.  The last two images in the gallery are the moneyfolds I am asking people to check before I diagram them.  Currently have three sets of diagrams being tested and when I get the all clear I’ll post them.

Recommendations if you wish to do these bowls.

1.  Minimum of 12 inch paper

2.  Use a heavy paper that is strong.

3.  Keep the initial box pleat on the horizontal/vertical.